Chas Everitt International – Property in Midrand
The city with a rural atmosphere and warm-hearted friendliness is the hub between Johannesburg , Pretoria and Joburg International Airport .
Over 1100 years ago the first settlers in the area, settled on the banks of the Jukskei River and established a sophisticated Iron Age smelting plant there.
In the 1880’s the area was developed as a major rest and watering stop for horsemen and animal drawn traffic between the cities of Johannesburg and Pretoria, hence its earlier name of Halfway House.
Surrounded by smallish agricultural enterprises, the township of Halfway House was founded in 1920 and gained status as a Local Area Committee in 1951. In July 1981 this area was proclaimed a Town Council and the historic name of Halfway House became Midrand.
During the period 1983 and 1992, R1-billion investment in business buildings was expended in Midrand. This figure is now achieved every two years with R500-million in building plans being annually approved. This rate of growth is forecast to continue until the end of this decade.
Midrand is South Africa’s most rapidly developing city and Africa’s fastest developing investment centre. From its humble beginning as a halfway point between Gauteng’s two major cities, it is now the dynamic centre of a metropolitan area, stretching from Centurion in the north, Sandton in the south, Kempton Park to the east and Kyalami to the west. By the year 2015 it is forecast that the population will be 20 million, compared to that current of 9 million.
Midrand proudly embraces a holistic development approach to minimizing social and economic inequality, where the public realm is the expression of commitment to the common good in society.
Despite its commercial burgeoning, much of Midrand retains a country life-style. Large domestic properties and agricultural smallholdings, stables, bridle paths, dairy herds, vegetable gardens and orchards continue to lend a rural feel to the area.